From Gary Martin <gary.mar...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: Layout suggestion - affects Dashboard, Product, Version, Milestone
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2012 11:44:00 GMT
On 07/17/2012 09:53 AM, Joachim Dreimann wrote:
>> [..] I wonder what happens if there are no such high-priority
>> tickets at a given time . For instance , right now it seems to me that
>> there's a single critical ticket in Bloodhound issue tracker , whereas
>> we have quite a few major & minor & ... open tickets . If this is the
>> case , will it list only one ticket in product / version screens ?
> My reflex here was to answer that no; I meant to only highlight a
> small number of the most important tickets to give a quick overview of
> what's important. This may mean showing the 5 highest priority
> tickets, and only expand to show more in order to include all blocker
> and critical tickets. If the 5 highest priority tickets would all be
> minor, it would show those.
>
> After thinking about it since your message I'm not so sure though.
> Maybe it's actually easier to understand the status of the product if
> a message like this shows instead:
>
> =====================================
> No blockers or critical issues. [Show all 72 tickets]
> =====================================
>
> This would make clear that there are no major obstructions to the
> work, effectively the backlog can be / is being tackled.
>
> What do you think?

Well, I don't like distinguishing blockers and critical as being
particularly special.

I suggest that we consider the most important tickets to be members of
the top N priority levels represented in tickets of a given milestone.
We could then use the dates of milestones to determine which tickets are
likely to be more interesting (assuming that a ticket is not given its
own due date through a plugin.)

For this to work at its best, milestones would have to have due dates
but this could be an incentive to set them.

I understand that the selection of tickets we are discussing is distinct
from the list of tickets that are [assigned to|watched by] the user. We
should also consider whether these lists should be allowed to overlap.
If we are expecting users to discuss the list of tickets displayed with
reference to a dashboard view, it might be expected that certain lists
would be identical for the viewers. On the other hand, a ticket listed
twice on a page seems a bit silly so it would probably be helpful to
instead provide the means for the user to see the dashboard style views
of a different user - probably with redacted parts for where there is
information that the viewing user does not have the relevant permissions
to view.

Cheers,
     Gary