From Gary Martin <gary.mar...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: Button styles
Date Mon, 16 Jul 2012 14:03:20 GMT
On 07/16/2012 09:27 AM, Joachim Dreimann wrote:
>> [..] As such we may prefer to
>> apply the primary action logic to distinguishing buttons to the confirmation
>> pages.
> Just because it is related to this I would like to mention that
> confirmation pages and dialogues are generally poor at achieving their
> goal. There seems to be a general habit of ignoring / skipping through
> these by just selecting OK or similar. Never mind situations in which
> the user is certain that the action is justified, but learns later
> that is wasn't.
>
> For those reasons I believe we should always prefer making it easy to
> reverse an action over asking whether it was actually intended.

Well, this could remove the annoyance of having to confirm an action so
I am willing to consider this. Creation of some major objects are likely
to remain irreversible (tickets being the obvious example) but object
creation is at least not as much as a problem as object deletion. I
think we could probably look into providing a means to mark deletable
objects as deleted, rather than actually removing them from the
database, to support this kind of behaviour. That and any extension to
versioning we might need.

I think there will be some very interesting problems to deal with in
this approach.

Cheers,
     Gary