From Gary Martin <>
Subject Re: Button styles
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2012 17:11:37 GMT
Ah, did you notice that I had actually already taken out all the
coloured buttons? I am glad there was some justification of this.

So, we are starting from a pretty much clean slate and any changes
should strive for consistency. I believe that all delete actions are
backed up by confirmation pages, including wiki page deletion. As such
we may prefer to apply the primary action logic to distinguishing
buttons to the confirmation pages.

On the other hand, in creating content, we don't have confirmation on
cancelling. This is a little harder to deal with in a way because there
are more ways to lose the data than just cancelling! We could consider
changes to behaviour if this will help though.

On 07/13/2012 04:27 PM, Joachim Dreimann wrote:
> Hi all,
> I would like to suggest a few things regarding the buttons throughout
> the application:
> 1. They should all be plain (class btn) unless it can be justified why
> they should be of any other style. See below for criteria.
> 2. Primary actions should always be more prominent than secondary actions.
>      One specific example is that while editing a wiki article the user
> is more likely to want to submit changes then to cancel. It's why
> he/she started editing the article for in the first place.
> 3. Prefer safe actions.
>      Again in relation to wikis, it's easy to delete a version that has
> been submitted accidentally. If the user accidentally clicks cancel,
> all edits have to be rewritten. That causes grief. Nevermind deleting
> a page accidentally.
> In practice this could be implemented by making the Submit changes
> button more prominent (btn-primary), while potentially styling the
> Cancel, Delete version and Delete page buttons like links, which
> appear less prominent than buttons.
> What do you think?
> - Joe

View raw message