From Gary Martin <gary.mar...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: [Apache Bloodhound] #120: Context dependent activity
Date Sun, 01 Jul 2012 20:40:23 GMT
On 01/07/12 16:13, Olemis Lang wrote:
> On 6/29/12, Gary Martin <gary.martin@wandisco.com> wrote:
>> Although I believe it should follow the general principle of greater
>> focus as suggested by #94
>> (https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/ticket/94), focusing on an
>> individual Ticket, it will certainly have to show more types of events
>> than at other levels.
>>
>> There is also the question of distinguishing the roles of the activity
>> area and the 'Change History' area which is probably worth clearing up.
>> Effectively the design that Joe provided us with changes that Change
>> History area into a Comments only area (see
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/bloodhound/trunk/doc/html-templates/ticket.html).
>>
>> Taking that to a hopefully logical conclusion, the Activity area
>> effectively replaces the role of the Change History, showing *all* the
>> Ticket change history, except using truncated comments.
> so far I'm -0 about this . IMO all details of change history should be
> fully available in ticket view .

I do not believe anyone wants to see any loss of details from the Ticket
View. This is effectively a rearrangement of the screen. For this to
provide a closer equivalence we should probably additionally specify
that there is no limit on the number of events displayed in the Activity
for a Ticket.

Anyway, the point of the partial separation of comments from other
events is that, while you might want to know how comments fit into the
order of the other events (and I see us still providing the comments
interleaved in the Activity albeit in the truncated form for compactness
to meet this need), it is a streamlining of the process of understanding
what a ticket is about rather than the way in which it has changed
state. If you extract the comments all into one place then it is easier
to read it through without all the other information getting in the way.
The status change information is still all there and, in fact, the
Activity draws attention to the last changes closer to the top of the
page which should be useful.

Cheers,
     Gary