From Robert Rose <robert.w.r...@gmail.com>
Subject Bloodhound thoughts
Date Sun, 19 Feb 2012 23:43:40 GMT
Hey all, I was googling around yesterday to see if anyone else was
working on a trac fork and discovered bloodhound.  I've always found
it frustrating that the out-of-box experience with trac sucks.  To get
trac up to where other issue management systems are you need to do a
fair bit of configuration and play around with some plugins.  Not to
mention the UI looks like it came from the 90s, so most
newer-generation folks are immediately put off by it.  If you grade
solely on the out-of-box experience, other systems like JIRA win
against trac.  This is unfortunate because trac's extensibility and
simplicity (in my opinion anyways) make it a better long-term choice
for issue management.

Anyways I'm glad others are actively rethinking these aspects of trac.
 Before I did my googling yesterday I was playing around with a
bootstrap reskin for trac (hacking directly on the genshi templates),
so I'm especially delighted that you've chosen bootstrap.  I haven't
caught up on all of the email archive yet, but I have a few thoughts I
wanted to share, so I apologize in advance if these were already
covered.

 * bootstrap +1

 * Can email2trac be bundled out-of-box? https://subtrac.sara.nl/oss/email2trac

 * Can the breadcrumbs plugin be bundled out-of-box?
http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/BreadCrumbsNavPlugin

 * I would love it if one of the child / master ticket plugins was
included out of box, but rendered in the UI in a clean way
http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/ChildTicketsPlugin

 * Review of historical ticket data is an essential part of our
project management method.  We have scripts that mine trac for
historical data and plot it using the google charts API.  Tickets are
plotted by state over time, ticket "velocity" (the rates at which they
move through states), etc.  It would be great if this was just part of
trac and available as a wiki macro.

 * I like the dashboard/activity views that have been shared but I'm
not clear if these are supposed to be new pages, or new functionality
available as wiki macros?  I make a lot of dashboards using trac and
wiki macro queries, it would be nice if these dashboards you're making
were customizable using the same mechanism... can they just be wiki
pages themselves?

 * What's the multiple project strategy?  We use trac to host multiple
projects on the same server just using apache redirect rules and the
intertrac plugin.  It works very well, but is not easy to
setup/maintain.  Would be nice if this was just done for you.

-robert