From Joachim Dreimann <joachim.dreim...@wandisco.com>
Subject Ticket view
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2012 16:37:47 GMT
I've created a new look for the Ticket view screen, which you can find below:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/bloodhound/trunk/doc/wireframes/tickets_ticketView.png
The raw .bmml file is available at [1], please read [2] on how to work with it.

Here are some thoughts that went into creating this particular design:
1. The status of the ticket should be immediately obvious.
2. Comments should be shown in chronological order
3. Summary, description and keywords are all different ways to
describe the same thing, so they're grouped together on the page.
    - I feel that keywords would be even better placed just below the
Summary/Title, rather than below the Description, what do others
think?
4. There needs to be a mechanism to highlight important comments

I talked with Gary for a long time about how we could allow users to
highlight comments, because once a ticket has 10-20 comments it can
become impractical to read them all. Star voting systems, +1s etc all
have their own problems, and encouraging the description to be updated
regularly with a summary is extra work and rarely done.

The system we came up with would allow users to cite comments on a
paragraph basis. These citations would then automatically be added to
the bottom of the Description as text+markup, so can be edited and
moved simply by editing the description. The mockup both shows a mouse
hovering over a paragraph, which then shows the 'cite' option to the
left of the paragraph, and an indicator of what will be included. In
the description there is an already cited paragraph at the bottom.

Information on where the ticket is located within the structure is
shown in the Breadcrumb (ie Product > Version > Milestone), and the
ticket can be moved from there.

As a last major point, I believe the Activity feed should be sticky,
ie as you scroll down the page, the Activity feed stays in place. The
top of it would dock to the top of the viewport, and it would have a
total height equal to the viewport. The inside of the feed would be
scrollable, but it would always be in the same fixed place on the
screen. I'd see this work similar to how the secondary navigation
'sticks' to the top once you start scrolling down the page in the
Bootstrap documentation:
http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/components.html
(The Buttons, Navigation, etc bar)

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/bloodhound/trunk/doc/wireframes/src/tickets_ticketView.bmml
[2] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/bloodhound/trunk/doc/wireframes/README

- Joe

On 28 February 2012 15:37,  <jdreimann@apache.org> wrote:
> Author: jdreimann
> Date: Tue Feb 28 15:37:14 2012
> New Revision: 1294696

> Log:
> Final draft, ready for discussion.
>
> Added:
>    incubator/bloodhound/trunk/doc/wireframes/tickets_ticketView.png   (with props)
> Modified:
>    incubator/bloodhound/trunk/doc/wireframes/src/tickets_ticketView.bmml
>
> Modified: incubator/bloodhound/trunk/doc/wireframes/src/tickets_ticketView.bmml
> --- incubator/bloodhound/trunk/doc/wireframes/src/tickets_ticketView.bmml (original)
> +++ incubator/bloodhound/trunk/doc/wireframes/src/tickets_ticketView.bmml Tue Feb 28
15:37:14 2012