From Joachim Dreimann <joachim.dreim...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: Bloodhound thoughts
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2012 20:50:08 GMT
On 20 February 2012 19:27, Jim Callahan <jim.callahan.hsqe@statefarm.com> wrote:

> On 2/20/12 1:16 PM, "Joachim Dreimann" <joachim.dreimann@wandisco.com>
> wrote:
>>
>>The breadcrumb should reflect this structure, which handily is also
>>existant in the Trac Wiki by default. As I understand it
>>BreadCrumbsNav doesn't do this currently. Also, pages last visited
>>should be returned to via the back button of the browser!
>
> I'd be afraid of complicating the BC functionality. Is there an example
> out there where this multi-level BC functionality is implemented
> successfully. I'm not saying it's not, just that I can't think of one off
> the top of my head.

Apologies Jim for not being clear. Most breadcrumbs show the
*location* (ie File systems, Websites, etc), which is what I believe
Bloodhound should do too. Some breadcrumbs show the *path* of how the
user got there, which is what I understand BreadCrumbsNav does.
(Wikipedia for further brief definitions:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breadcrumb_(navigation) ).

It seems to me that the plugin chose path over location because Trac
doesn't have a structure as such, while Bloodhound will have some
structure.

> My bread crumbs use case is more complicated than a simple click on a back
> button. I am constantly managing work for multiple milestones and
> enhancements in multiple different online apps. The BC plugin is key to me
> being able to remember what I've done and go back just a little bit. I
> won't necessarily even have a history tomorrow that isn't gummed up by
> 85,000 other links.
>
> But, that may just be me.

I'm sure that's not just you! I'm at least one other person, and I can
see this being quite a common use case.
Bloodhound provides more functionality to help you with this though:
- Activity (Timeline in Trac) is now very prominent in the UI, and it
makes perfect sense to allow you to filter this by your own actions
- Custom Query Activity - I believe Custom Queries should have the
option to show Activities as well as Tickets, with you being able to
filter both in the same way.
- Dashboard - While it currently only shows you Tickets allocated to
you or watched by you, in future Bloodhound will allow you to watch
anything: eg Projects, Products, Milestones, etc. That will allow you
to keep track of things across all of the Bloodhound instance.
- Projects allow you to keep track of anything (Tickets, Milestones,
etc) across one or more Products.

- Joe