From Olemis Lang <ole...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Bloodhound UI basics
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2012 15:16:13 GMT
On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 9:10 AM, Mat Booth <mat.booth@wandisco.com> wrote:

> On 1 February 2012 13:29, Olemis Lang <olemis@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 7:11 AM, Mat Booth <mat.booth@wandisco.com> wrote:
> >> As y'all may know, the user interface in Trac at the moment is built
> >> using Genshi template. Would using bootstrap involve ripping out that
> >> dependency?
> >>
> >> I would be for this if it meant increased speed rendering the UI. As
> >> awesome as Genshi is, its design does not lend itself to super-fast
> >> template processing. [1]
> >>
> >> [1] http://genshi.edgewall.org/wiki/GenshiPerformance
> >>

> > -1 for removing Genshi . Trac is tightly coupled to that templates
> > system . There was a discussion about this subject in ( trac-dev |
> > trac-users ) MLs months ago and I go -1 for that . Maybe at a later
> > phase ... and honestly I don't recommend doing so (but final decision
> > involves much more reasoning by many people paying attention to some
> > other details ;) .
> >
> > ... just my $0.02
> > ;)
> >

> So it's not a replacement UI template engine then? Just trying to
> understand how Bootstap fits in.

Instead of providing a yes / no ... I think we (that includes /me as
well ;) should read this thread @ trac- ML [1]_ before moving forward
.
I do can tell you that the relationship between Trac & Genshi
templates is not just limited to rendering the templates provided the
data . It's also about stream filters , and a bunch of other features
that should have at least a candidate substitute in the *new*
templating system ... due to the fact that a lot of plugins rely on
this to get some things done (e.g. I was thinking of using such
*hacky* to render activity feed at the right of dashboard ;)