From Olemis Lang <ole...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Catching up
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2012 14:11:12 GMT
Hi !

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 1:21 AM, Gavin McDonald <gavin@16degrees.com.au> wrote:

> [...]

[...]
> > I believe that Buildbot and Jenkins are the readily available choices. It
> would
> > be nice to have a solution that Trac/Bloodhound would be able to integrate
> > with but it is not a strict necessity.
> > >

> > http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/BuildbotPlugin
> > http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/TracBuildbotIntegration
> > https://github.com/rbosetti/trac-buildbot-watcher
>
> Not sure we need any of that at this stage just to check if code from svn
> will build.

ok . that was JFTR ;)

> > If you ask me ... I'd rather go for Jenkins (... but mainly because I'm
> more
> > familiar with it ;)
> >
> > https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Trac+Plugin
> > https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Trac+Publisher+Plugin
> > http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/HudsonTracPlugin
>
> Again, that might or might not come later, I'm more concerned with general
> CI
> build stuff rather than integration. Integrating our CI systems with a
> development
> instance is not my idea of fun at the moment. Let's stick to just making
> sure the
> code passes our build tests.

ok . Below I mention general (tactic | strategic) decisions I (always)
make regarding testing + CI of Python / Trac projects ;)
So far JFTR . With time I hope this will be improved .

- Tests are run using setuptools test command
  * Functional dependencies (libraries, ...) are declared in setup.py
    `install_requires` , so should be installed automatically
  * Libraries needed for testing purposes are declared in
    `tests_require` so should be installed automatically every time
    setuptools `test` command is executed
  * Lightweight test cases & infrastructure (e.g. mock objects ,
    no physical Trac environment required , in-memory
    Trac database sqlite::memory: , ... )
  * The subset of the tests defined in an specific module can be run
     using -m option
  * For CI (at least using Jenkins ;) it's necessary to generate
    JUnit XML report . This will be possible by adding a library
    supporting this (e.g. unittest-xml-reporting [1]_ ) and selecting the
    test runner using -r option of setuptools test command .

e.g. in general , in order to run the test suite it will only be
needed to execute a command similar to

{{{
#!sh

$ python setup.py test -r <module.TestRunnerClass> -m <module>
}}}

at least that's the idea ;)

... like I said this is JFTR . I know you'll need to have code + tests
so as to play with it
;)

BTW . Tests are implemented in Dashboard plugin . I often don't see
the need for testing a theme , but it's possible to have e.g. some
twill-fu in there so as to make some assertions
;)

> > > At this point there is still no real code in the repositories to for CI
> to test and
> > so I think that it would be good if we could ask Olemis to contribute his
> work
> > on the theme and dashboard to the svn repositories. That will also have
> the
> > advantage that everyone can play with his code and contribute patches
> back.
> > I'm hoping to get some code down in there too shortly.
>
> what about a main core dump, are we going to get a specific tag of the trac
> instance
> in svn to get going with?

I guess that should be the case if patches will be applied on top of
Trac distribution (and some facts make me think that's what's going to
happen ... at some point in the future ;)

If this is the case then IMO it'd be nice to have a build job to run
Trac test suite ensure those patches don't break the test cases in
there ...

> > In there you'll find a few test cases , With time I can provide
> instructions so as
> > to run the test suite (or part of it ;) , especially in a CI environment .
> During
> > this week I'll also try to do the same thing @ testrun.org (Jenkins /
> Hudson) ;
> > just to satisfy my curiosity and try to be at least a bit accurate
> sometimes ;)
>
> From my perspective, I don’t mind which we use. I will set up a Buildbot
> build
> once I know what the tests are. I will also do the same for our Jenkins
> instance, though
> once that is up I tend to leave that for other committers to then
> tweak/play/lookafter.

ok

.. [1] PyUnit-based test runner with JUnit like XML reporting
        (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/unittest-xml-reporting/1.0.3)

--
Regards,

Olemis

Facebook => http://www.facebook.com/olemis
Twitter => http://www.twitter.com/olemislc (@olemislc)
Blog ES => http://simelo-es.blogspot.com
Blog EN => http://simelo-en.blogspot.com
Quora => http://www.quora.com/olemis
Youtube => http://youtube.com/user/greatsoftw

Featured article : Identificando números primos con expresión regular en Perl
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/simelo-news/~3/BHr859OSndo/identificando-numeros-primos-con.html
Tweet: yo no puedo creer q haya pasado inadvertido el 1/2/12 12:12 ...
@elainediaz2003 no dijo na' ... OMG ! ... much more coming soon ;) #fb
Follow @olemislc Reply Retweet   12:59 Feb-01
  Get this email app!
Get a signature like this. CLICK HERE.