From Olemis Lang <ole...@gmail.com>
Subject Bloodhound Widgets , WikiMacros , WYSIWYG et al. WAS: Bloodhound thoughts
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2012 21:20:50 GMT
Hi !
Started another thread . Hope u don't mind
;)

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 1:51 PM, Joachim Dreimann
<joachim.dreimann@wandisco.com> wrote:

[...]
>>  * I like the dashboard/activity views that have been shared but I'm
>> not clear if these are supposed to be new pages, or new functionality
>> available as wiki macros?  I make a lot of dashboards using trac and
>> wiki macro queries,

;)
would you be interested in having (at some point in the future ;)
something like Blogger layout editor or iGoogle so as to add widgets
containing useful information ?

>> it would be nice if these dashboards you're making
>> were customizable using the same mechanism... can they just be wiki
>> pages themselves?
>
> As a starting point these would just be pages without much ability to
> modify them.

+1 ... nonetheless the current implementation is prepared to support
more flexibility in dashboard . What's needed to make it evolve is to
upgrade some parts hard-coded at present (e.g. replace the «fixed»
list of widgets with some code that loads the same data from database
or config file saved by some user <= and that's just an example ;) .

> The more feedback we receive and can observe people
> actually using it, the better we'll understand how far towards full
> flexibility we have to go.

/me hoping it'll become another cool & lovely thingy
:)

> A consistent UI will help users build a clear mental model of how
> things work,

+1 ... this is very important

> which will allow them to move towards intermediate skills
> more quickly, which should then allow them to use wiki macros etc.

About wiki macros ... IMO the best way to deal with WikiMacros and
provide enhanced user experience is to move forward and select an
extensible WYSIWYG editor (e.g. CKEditor , TinyMCE , ... <if you know
of another, please add it to the list> ;) and implement tight
integration with Bloodhound .

This will allow e.g. to launch dialogs assisting users when they are
about to embed some content rendered by a given WikiMacro . In this
case the added benefit of widgets (... and that's one of the main
goals for building yet another WikiMacro-like stuff rather than using
them directly ;) is that they expose more metadata (e.g. supported
parameters , type , ...) , which is similar to gadgets [1]_ . Hence
it'll be possible e.g. to implement a CKEditor plugin able to read
widget metadata (provided target widget name e.g. `Timeline` for
`bhdashboard.widgets.timeline.TimelineWidget` ) and use it to render
and display a dialog similar to Google Gadget Editor [2]_ . Then user
specifies widget parameters (e.g. max number of events to show in the
timeline ;) ... maybe preview available . Finally , when she/he clicks
on Accept button , WikiMacro code needed to render that widget is
inserted under the hood as part of wiki text .

PS: In previous messages I provided a link to a playlist illustrating
one such dialog to edit source code [3]_ . Further similar scenarios
will be possible if something like CkEditor , TinyMCE , ... is
integrated with Bloodhound . This is not possible by using Wysiwyg
plugin due to the fact that it does not provide extension points ,
plugins ... nothing like that .

.. [1] iGoogle Gadgets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IGoogle_Gadgets)

.. [2] Google Gadget Editor - Add to your homepage
        (http://www.google.com/ig/directory?type=gadgets&url=www.google.com/ig/modules/gge.xml)

.. [3] CKEditor plugins (source code editor)
        (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLABED7BA09947CA55&feature=plcp)

--
Regards,

Olemis.