From Olemis Lang <ole...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Bloodhound UI basics
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2012 13:58:27 GMT
On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 6:36 AM, Joachim Dreimann
<joachim.dreimann@wandisco.com> wrote:

[...]
> On 31 January 2012 22:23, Olemis Lang <olemis@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 12:07 PM, Joachim Dreimann
>> <joachim.dreimann@wandisco.com> wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> cool !
>> Below I mention a few ideas , mainly focused on how to get this
>> implemented in the theme itself
>> ;)
>
> That's great actually, I think we should go straight from these rough
> drafts to implementation. I'm more happy to refine the design in html
> than to come up with things that may be easy to mock up but difficult
> to implement.

:)

[...]

>>> 2. Content should be shown in a pane larger than half the screen width
>>> on the left.
>>
>> good to know . I was thinking of using a 50% - 50% layout initially
>> :$
>> 66% - 33% should be ok ? or maybe some combination of fixed & relative
>> width (i.e. using height & max-height) will be better ?
>
> Yes, 66% + 33% width will be fine to start with. My thinking here is
> that content should always be your focus, Activity is just a view of
> what happened to the content recently.

ok . I'll put all those pieces together and try to update the theme
for you to take a look
;)

> Once we have something up and running we can have a play around with
> different fixed/relative widths for either half, I'll happily get
> involved with that.

cool !

>>> 3. Activity relating to the content is shown on the remaining width on the right
>>>    (this is essentially Trac's timeline feature with context-specific
>>> filters applied).
>>
>> once I reviewed previous mockup I was thinking of considering activity
>> to be yet another widget in the dashboard ... afaics the idea now is a
>> bit different than that ... isn't it ?
>
> Yes, I actually found the Activity view useful in all parts of the
> ticket system. For example the Component view:
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/59840506/Bloodhound/Mockups/tickets_componentView.png
> ( Mockup http://dl.dropbox.com/u/59840506/Bloodhound/Mockups/tickets_componentView.bmml
> )
>
> This is consistent across the dashboard, project, version, milestone,
> component and ticket views.

Ok I get it ... ;)
I've taken this into account when «sketching» the dashboard and all
other stuff .

> In some future version this would also be the natural place to show
> activity graphs (see .png above), but that's not needed for our
> initial work.

agreed ;)

>>> The basic page setup would stay consistent throughout all of the
>>> Ticket system in Bloodhound.
>>
>> ... so my aforementioned impression of including the timeline as part
>> of the dashboard is not valid anymore , isn't it ?
>
> As above, this applies everywhere in the ticket system. The Dashboard
> is only special in that it pulls in data relevant to the user from
> everywhere - all other screens just provide a narrower focus.

ok

>> if that's the case , options to get this done are as follows :
>>
>> 1- implement component outside core (e.g. side-by-side with
>>    plugins migrated from Trac-Hacks ;) that detects that both
>>    ticket and timeline systems are enabled and , if this is
>>    the case , inserts the timeline (i.e. using ITemplateFilter ... afaicr )
>> 2- implement such behavior and package that component in
>>    the theme itself
>> 3- modify genshi templates in core components to include timeline
>>     and/or implement that idea in core distribution
>>     (maybe in TicketModule itself, but maybe others ...)
>>
>> ... beware of the fact that timeline and ticket modules are separate
>> entities in Trac .
>>
>> why do I mention options above ? So as to know if the theme should
>> be changed or something else needs to be implemented

... btw . IMO choosing one of aforementioned options is a very
important aspect we need to think about before start doing something
*serious* .

>> [...]
>>>
>>> Mockup files here (these will be updated regularly:
>>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/59840506/Bloodhound/Mockups/tickets_dashboardNew.bmml
>>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/59840506/Bloodhound/Mockups/assets/bloodhound_logo.png
>>
>> ... about logo file ; it'd be nice to have a similar picture in
>> transparent background ...
>
> I'd go one further and say that we need a vector graphic of the logo,
> at least of the hound.

+1

[...]

--

Regards,

Olemis

Facebook => http://www.facebook.com/olemis
Twitter => http://www.twitter.com/olemislc (@olemislc)
Blog ES => http://simelo-es.blogspot.com
Blog EN => http://simelo-en.blogspot.com
Quora => http://www.quora.com/olemis
Youtube => http://youtube.com/user/greatsoftw

Featured article : Identificando números primos con expresión regular en Perl
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/simelo-news/~3/BHr859OSndo/identificando-numeros-primos-con.html
Tweet: RT @WANdisco How you can add #uTest to #uberSVN...
http://t.co/SCUhNd6B #fb
Follow @olemislc  Reply  Retweet   12:35 Jan-20