From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Catching up
Date Mon, 06 Feb 2012 13:15:52 GMT
On Feb 6, 2012 6:59 AM, "Gary" <gary.martin@wandisco.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For some reason I thought that I had responded to this thread. Sorry
about that..

> As noted we have the VM on which an instance of Trac is running. We could
do with deciding on how various types of users should be able to interact
with this - and therefore we probably need to know if there are any rules
Apache have for this. So do we want (or are we allowed):

>  * Full anonymous access for wiki page creating/editing and ticket
>   opening/closing or
>  * User self-registration for the same actions
>
> or any other options?

Apache is a serious spam target. I think anon access would be very
troublesome.

> I haven't looked at configuring mail to allow for users to look after
themselves yet so I'll probably have to test configurations to make sure
that I can get it working. Talking of which, I wonder if it would be
overkill to have some kind of staging server that we can test changes to
the trac/bloodhound vm before they go live?

Probably overkill. Recall that the test is being used by a small community.
Impacts from bugs are minimal.

> Another aspect of the Trac setup I have not touched yet is working out
how to integrate with the bloodhound svn repository. I think that Trac
generally expects this to be on the same server as itself. I assume that
this is not the case here.

Subversion is on its own server. The only access will be remote. Basically,
nothing but ViewVC is allowed to run on the svn server, for security
reasons.

> Particular work I am interested in getting arranged is CI. Is this
something that Gavin would be able to get involved with or have
recommendations for? I believe that Buildbot and Jenkins are the readily
available choices. It would be nice to have a solution that Trac/Bloodhound
would be able to integrate with but it is not a strict necessity.

Those two systems are available. The community should pick one or both to
use, and then work with Infra on that. Gavin will ultimately be the guy
working on it, and may be able to expedite, but I'll leave that to him :-)

> At this point there is still no real code in the repositories to for CI
to test and so I think that it would be good if we could ask Olemis to
contribute his work on the theme and dashboard to the svn repositories.
That will also have the advantage that everyone can play with his code and
contribute patches back. I'm hoping to get some code down in there too
shortly.

Something needs to be buildable in order to attract any new community. Or
to have a focus for discussion and development.  The barren svn is our
biggest problem right now, IMO.

Cheers,
-g