From Itamar O <itamar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Bloodhound Widgets , WikiMacros , WYSIWYG et al. WAS: Bloodhound thoughts
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2012 12:24:19 GMT
On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 11:20 PM, Olemis Lang <olemis@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> <joachim.dreimann@wandisco.com> wrote:
> >
> [...]
> >>  * I like the dashboard/activity views that have been shared but I'm
> >> not clear if these are supposed to be new pages, or new functionality
> >> available as wiki macros?  I make a lot of dashboards using trac and
> >> wiki macro queries,
>
> ;)
> would you be interested in having (at some point in the future ;)
> something like Blogger layout editor or iGoogle so as to add widgets
> containing useful information ?
>
> >> it would be nice if these dashboards you're making
> >> were customizable using the same mechanism... can they just be wiki
> >> pages themselves?
> >
> > As a starting point these would just be pages without much ability to
> > modify them.
>
> +1 ... nonetheless the current implementation is prepared to support
> more flexibility in dashboard . What's needed to make it evolve is to
> upgrade some parts hard-coded at present (e.g. replace the «fixed»
> list of widgets with some code that loads the same data from database
> or config file saved by some user <= and that's just an example ;) .
>
> > The more feedback we receive and can observe people
> > actually using it, the better we'll understand how far towards full
> > flexibility we have to go.
> >

> /me hoping it'll become another cool & lovely thingy
> :)
>
> > A consistent UI will help users build a clear mental model of how
> > things work,
>
> +1 ... this is very important
>
> > which will allow them to move towards intermediate skills
> > more quickly, which should then allow them to use wiki macros etc.
> >

> About wiki macros ... IMO the best way to deal with WikiMacros and
> provide enhanced user experience is to move forward and select an
> extensible WYSIWYG editor (e.g. CKEditor , TinyMCE , ... <if you know
> of another, please add it to the list> ;) and implement tight
> integration with Bloodhound .
>
> This will allow e.g. to launch dialogs assisting users when they are
> about to embed some content rendered by a given WikiMacro . In this
> case the added benefit of widgets (... and that's one of the main
> goals for building yet another WikiMacro-like stuff rather than using
> them directly ;) is that they expose more metadata (e.g. supported
> parameters , type , ...) , which is similar to gadgets [1]_ . Hence
> it'll be possible e.g. to implement a CKEditor plugin able to read
> widget metadata (provided target widget name e.g. `Timeline` for
> `bhdashboard.widgets.timeline.TimelineWidget` ) and use it to render
> and display a dialog similar to Google Gadget Editor [2]_ . Then user
> specifies widget parameters (e.g. max number of events to show in the
> timeline ;) ... maybe preview available . Finally , when she/he clicks
> on Accept button , WikiMacro code needed to render that widget is
> inserted under the hood as part of wiki text .

The idea of dialogs for various operations (inserting wiki- & trac- links,
attaching & embedding images, invoking macros, etc.) was the main
consideration in choosing CKEditor for the CkEditorPlugin (
https://trac-hacks.org/wiki/CkEditorPlugin).
I actually have tickets on t-h.org for these features (
https://trac-hacks.org/ticket/8848, https://trac-hacks.org/ticket/8849,
https://trac-hacks.org/ticket/8885).
The basics for the integration exists in the plugin, but the more advanced
(and useful) functionalities are not even started. I know I will not have
any time in the near future to work on this, and I suspect the other two
contributors are in similar position.
The Bloodhound team is more than welcome to join forces and bring this
plugin to the next level, for both Trac & Bloodhound.
I don't mind relicensing the plugin so it works for you, as long as it also
works with CKEditor itself (see http://ckeditor.com/license).