From Felix Schwarz <felix.schw...@oss.schwarz.eu>
Subject Re: Bloodhound thoughts
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2012 20:33:36 GMT
Am 20.02.2012 21:14, schrieb Ian Wild:
>> However I'd agree if you say that the information in Trac's notification
>> emails are not optimally layed out for that task.
>
> Quite true. Is it acceptable in todays day and age to default to HTML
> styled emails? Is there even any point in providing a text alternative
> (Surely not even the geekiest geek is still using Pine?).

I was referring to the information shown first in the email: You get all
ticket attributes first and that's pretty annoying if you're interested in
changes (though I like that the information is present). You can see the
problem pretty clearly in Trac's (t.e.o) change emails where the 'text' field
'API changes' is using several lines before any change-related content.

Maybe it's just a matter of moving the change content up?

Personally I prefer text for simple information, but no hard feelings here.
However my Thunderbird is usually configured so that it only shows 'plain
text' (so HTML-only mails will be automatically converted to 'plain text').
The reason for this is that I get so many badly formatted HTML mails so an
automatic downgrade is usually more readable than the original.

Therefore I'd recommend that you check at least that this automatic downgrade
does not remove important information.

fs