From Gary <gary.mar...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: Bloodhound UI basics
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2012 14:53:03 GMT
On 02/01/2012 02:10 PM, Mat Booth wrote:
> On 1 February 2012 13:29, Olemis Lang<olemis@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 7:11 AM, Mat Booth<mat.booth@wandisco.com>  wrote:
>>> As y'all may know, the user interface in Trac at the moment is built
>>> using Genshi template. Would using bootstrap involve ripping out that
>>> dependency?
>>>
>>> I would be for this if it meant increased speed rendering the UI. As
>>> awesome as Genshi is, its design does not lend itself to super-fast
>>> template processing. [1]
>>>
>>> [1] http://genshi.edgewall.org/wiki/GenshiPerformance
>>>
>> -1 for removing Genshi . Trac is tightly coupled to that templates
>> system . There was a discussion about this subject in ( trac-dev |
>> trac-users ) MLs months ago and I go -1 for that . Maybe at a later
>> phase ... and honestly I don't recommend doing so (but final decision
>> involves much more reasoning by many people paying attention to some
>> other details ;) .
>>
>> ... just my $0.02
>> ;)
>>

> So it's not a replacement UI template engine then? Just trying to
> understand how Bootstap fits in.

Well, it looks to me like it is not about templating so much as css and
javascript. If so, there is nothing to stop us as long as we don't
remove aspects of the html that plugins currently depend on. If by using
bootstrap we are able to lower the barrier to plugin creation, it seems
worthwhile.

If I have made any sense there then I think this is definitely worth
looking into further.

Cheers,
     Gary