From Olemis Lang <>
Subject Re: Bloodhound UI basics
Date Tue, 31 Jan 2012 22:23:56 GMT
On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 12:07 PM, Joachim Dreimann
<> wrote:
> Hello all,

> I've spent about two weeks coming up with a general idea of how to
> improve the UI for the first release of Bloodhound.

cool !
Below I mention a few ideas , mainly focused on how to get this
implemented in the theme itself

This means that parts of this message are not just about the design ,
but also about the underlying machinery to make the theme magic happen

> My thoughts so far are:
> 1. Search should play a major role in navigation.

> 2. Content should be shown in a pane larger than half the screen width
> on the left.

good to know . I was thinking of using a 50% - 50% layout initially
66% - 33% should be ok ? or maybe some combination of fixed & relative
width (i.e. using height & max-height) will be better ?

> 3. Activity relating to the content is shown on the remaining width on the right
>    (this is essentially Trac's timeline feature with context-specific
> filters applied).

once I reviewed previous mockup I was thinking of considering activity
to be yet another widget in the dashboard ... afaics the idea now is a
bit different than that ... isn't it ?

> 4. The minimum width we should design for is 1024px,
>     because that covers every device down to small tablets in
> landscape mode (including the 7" Kindle Fire).

ok , understood ;)

> 5. It should be possible to create tickets everywhere without leaving
> the current page.

> That may look something like this:

/me looking at this btw

> The basic page setup would stay consistent throughout all of the
> Ticket system in Bloodhound.

... so my aforementioned impression of including the timeline as part
of the dashboard is not valid anymore , isn't it ?

if that's the case , options to get this done are as follows :

1- implement component outside core (e.g. side-by-side with
   plugins migrated from Trac-Hacks ;) that detects that both
   ticket and timeline systems are enabled and , if this is
   the case , inserts the timeline (i.e. using ITemplateFilter ... afaicr )
2- implement such behavior and package that component in
   the theme itself
3- modify genshi templates in core components to include timeline
    and/or implement that idea in core distribution
    (maybe in TicketModule itself, but maybe others ...)

... beware of the fact that timeline and ticket modules are separate
entities in Trac .

why do I mention options above ? So as to know if the theme should
be changed or something else needs to be implemented

> Mockup files here (these will be updated regularly:

... about logo file ; it'd be nice to have a similar picture in
transparent background ...

Facebook =>
Twitter => (@olemislc)
Blog ES =>
Blog EN =>
Quora =>
Youtube =>

Featured article : Identificando números primos con expresión regular en Perl
Get a signature like this. CLICK HERE.

View raw message