From Olemis Lang <ole...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Bloodhound Theme/Dashboard design
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2012 14:15:54 GMT
On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 7:08 AM, Ian Wild <ian.wild@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 9:37 PM, Olemis Lang <olemis@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> While looking at this picture there's something I need to mention .
>> Considering my experience there's something to considering when
>> designing a Trac theme for general purpose use and able to adapt to
>> different screen resolutions . It is about the mainnav toolbar at the
>> top . It is a good practice to control the way mainnav items overflow
>> so as to prevent them from wrapping . If this happens pages don't look
>> well . I suggest to implement a carousel in there so as to scroll
>> mainnav items if necessary .
>>

> Yes, this was a reason the number of tabs has been kept to such an absolute
> minimum (3 items!).

That should be fine to illustrate the initial design using a picture .
Nonetheless in practice as more and more plugins are installed they
may add further mainnav items dynamically . There should be something
in there to «control» their behavior .

> Ideally this will be something that will render well on
> a tablet or even smaller mobile device.

good point , but those items top right look like they will be fixed .
As I mentioned that will reduce space for mainnav items. So I guess
this should be confirmed by building a prototype and making some tests
;)

... maybe when project will be mature, it might be a good idea to
provide a mobile app or optimize BH to work with smartphones and
tablets ...
I wanted to try doing this before with Trac , but was very busy at the time :-/

>> Q:
>>  - What's the user picture (rightmost item in mainnav) for ?
>>

> It's an icon similar to My Profile / Preferences.

I c . Need to check how this is represented in Trac and
whether it's possible to add it in the theme itself
(because that's definitely not the metanav ;) .

>>  - Where did metanav go ?
>>  - Same as above for footer ... ;)
>>

>  Can you expand a little on this one - Where are you looking?

In default Trac installation ...

metanav => Login (or username if user already logged into the site),
Preferences, About, Help, RPC API docs, ...
footer => Powered by Trac statement , Trac logo , Visit Trac project ...

In wireframes they are missing afaics

[...]
> For now the design idea was to have something more visually appealing than
> the default trac and which makes the most used features of the defect
> tracker stand out.

;)

> Our thought process was to keep things as simple as
> possible in terms of usability and add more later as the requirements
> arise.
>
> Make sense?

I think so . Time will tell
;)

--

Regards,

Olemis

Facebook => http://www.facebook.com/olemis
Twitter => http://www.twitter.com/olemislc (@olemislc)
Blog ES => http://simelo-es.blogspot.com
Blog EN => http://simelo-en.blogspot.com
Quora => http://www.quora.com/olemis
Youtube => http://youtube.com/user/greatsoftw

Featured article : Identificando números primos con expresión regular en Perl
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/simelo-news/~3/BHr859OSndo/identificando-numeros-primos-con.html
Tweet: Identificando números primos con expresión regular en #Perl
http://t.co/0UTEpvt9 #Simelo #blog #fb #comandos
Follow @olemislc Reply Retweet   20:12 Jan-10
  Get this email app!
Get a signature like this. CLICK HERE.