From Gary <gary.mar...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: Bloodhound Theme/Dashboard design
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2012 17:21:30 GMT
On 01/18/2012 02:15 PM, Olemis Lang wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 7:08 AM, Ian Wild<ian.wild@wandisco.com>  wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 9:37 PM, Olemis Lang<olemis@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> While looking at this picture there's something I need to mention .
>>> Considering my experience there's something to considering when
>>> designing a Trac theme for general purpose use and able to adapt to
>>> different screen resolutions . It is about the mainnav toolbar at the
>>> top . It is a good practice to control the way mainnav items overflow
>>> so as to prevent them from wrapping . If this happens pages don't look
>>> well . I suggest to implement a carousel in there so as to scroll
>>> mainnav items if necessary .
>>>
>> Yes, this was a reason the number of tabs has been kept to such an absolute
>> minimum (3 items!).
> That should be fine to illustrate the initial design using a picture .
> Nonetheless in practice as more and more plugins are installed they
> may add further mainnav items dynamically . There should be something
> in there to Ā«controlĀ» their behavior .
I agree with this.. we should expect that:

  * some people will want to rearrange the items
  * there will be people wanting to add plugins for which we don't
    pre-specify a location in the menu system

It would also make sense for anything that scrolls the mainnav items to
know when it doesn't need to be there.

Cheers,
     Gary