incubator-bigtop-user mailing list archives

From Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using Bigtop to create / install RPMS with alternative layout
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2012 19:48:32 GMT
On 03/19/2012 06:56 AM, Mark Butler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First thanks for Bigtop!
>
> The client I am currently working for wants to create RPMs to install
> Hadoop and friends in a custom layout, specifically
>
> /app/vscc/pkg/hadoop-0.20.205.2
> /app/vscc/pkg/hadoop-0.20.205.2/bin
> /app/vscc/pkg/hadoop-0.20.205.2/lib
>
> /app/vscc/run/hadoop/pid
> /app/vscc/run/hadoop/log
> /app/vscc/run/hadoop/conf
>
> I note it is possible to reorganize the existing RPM layouts like this:
>
> rpm -i hadoop-0.20.205.0.2-1.x86-64.rpm --relocate
> /usr=/app/vscc/pkg/hadoop-0.20.205.2 --relocate
> /var/log/hadoop=/app/vscc/run/hadoop/log --relocate
> /var/run/hadoop=/app/vscc/run/hadoop/pid --relocate
> /etc/hadoop/conf.empty=/app/vscc/run/hadoop/conf.default --relocate
> /etc/default=/app/vscc/run/hadoop/default --relocate
> /etc/security/limits=/app/vscc/run/hadoop/limits
>
> However it would be nice to be able to specify this alternative layout
> at build time, to avoid the complex RPM command at install time.
>
> Also, preferably the client should not have to maintain its own
> internal version of Bigtop.
>
> Do you have any thoughts about the best way I could do this, so that
> the changes could be incorporated back into Bigtop?
>
> Not the new layout obviously, just the ability to configure the
> packages in a new layout?
>
> I have some ideas about this but I would be interested to here your
> thoughts first?
>
> best wishes,
>
> Mark

Hi Mark,

Great to know Apache Bigtop (incubating) can help you!

The most obvious way I can think of from the top of my head would be to
do something similar to what we do to pass versions:
Somewhere in the Makefile/package.mk a variable is defined and is passed
through %define to the build.
It would require some changes to the packaging as well.
But from your relocation example, you seem to not just change a prefix,
but have a different relocation for each path. Is it a hard requirement?
Limiting this to a single prefix would make things much simpler on the
Apache Bigtop (incubating) side.

Thanks,
Bruno