incubator-bigtop-user mailing list archives

From Bruno Mahé <>
Subject Re: Using Bigtop to create / install RPMS with alternative layout
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2012 19:48:32 GMT
On 03/19/2012 06:56 AM, Mark Butler wrote:
> Hello,
> First thanks for Bigtop!
> The client I am currently working for wants to create RPMs to install
> Hadoop and friends in a custom layout, specifically
> /app/vscc/pkg/hadoop-
> /app/vscc/pkg/hadoop-
> /app/vscc/pkg/hadoop-
> /app/vscc/run/hadoop/pid
> /app/vscc/run/hadoop/log
> /app/vscc/run/hadoop/conf
> I note it is possible to reorganize the existing RPM layouts like this:
> rpm -i hadoop- --relocate
> /usr=/app/vscc/pkg/hadoop- --relocate
> /var/log/hadoop=/app/vscc/run/hadoop/log --relocate
> /var/run/hadoop=/app/vscc/run/hadoop/pid --relocate
> /etc/hadoop/conf.empty=/app/vscc/run/hadoop/conf.default --relocate
> /etc/default=/app/vscc/run/hadoop/default --relocate
> /etc/security/limits=/app/vscc/run/hadoop/limits
> However it would be nice to be able to specify this alternative layout
> at build time, to avoid the complex RPM command at install time.
> Also, preferably the client should not have to maintain its own
> internal version of Bigtop.
> Do you have any thoughts about the best way I could do this, so that
> the changes could be incorporated back into Bigtop?
> Not the new layout obviously, just the ability to configure the
> packages in a new layout?
> I have some ideas about this but I would be interested to here your
> thoughts first?
> best wishes,
> Mark

Hi Mark,

Great to know Apache Bigtop (incubating) can help you!

The most obvious way I can think of from the top of my head would be to
do something similar to what we do to pass versions:
Somewhere in the Makefile/ a variable is defined and is passed
through %define to the build.
It would require some changes to the packaging as well.
But from your relocation example, you seem to not just change a prefix,
but have a different relocation for each path. Is it a hard requirement?
Limiting this to a single prefix would make things much simpler on the
Apache Bigtop (incubating) side.

View raw message