From Roman Shaposhnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: hive-metastore puppet module on bigtop-0.3.1
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2012 22:40:04 GMT
On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 3:32 PM, giridharan kesavan
<gkesavan@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> Roman,
>
> hive comes with the derby library and should work out of the box.
> Let me try to get it working with derby, and followup on postgresql.

There was a very unfortunate typo in my email -- I meant to say:
"I would NOT recommend Derby". The reason being is that Puppet
code is meant to handle a more of a serious type of deployment
not just a quick-and-dirty type of provisioning that is useful during
the edit-compile-debug cycle.

The biggest issue with how Hive uses derby is that there's a sort
of a race condition -- whoever runs Hive in that configuration first
ends up owning the actual Unix files for the Derby state.

Thanks,
Roman.