From Roman Shaposhnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: running init.d scripts by hand vs. service(8)
Date Fri, 14 Sep 2012 23:46:22 GMT
On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 11:35 PM, Bruno Mahé <bmahe@apache.org> wrote:
> su?
> Although I haven't had time to play with this issue.

It is not a straight su, it is a little bit more complicated since you
actually have to setup those env. vars that are part of /etc/default/foo

Thus it ends being something really ugly like:

env -i LANG="$LANG" PATH="$PATH" TERM="$TERM" bash -c    \
     "[ -e /etc/default/foo ] && . /etc/default/foo
                   ;\
      exec $AGENT_SCRIPT $AGENT_ARGS > $AGENT_OUT 2>&1" &

and even then it is not a mechanical change. Since all of the init.d
scripts need to be audited for export FOO statements.

Actually, the more I think about it the more it feels like we might
benefit from templatizing all of our init.d related code and then
fixing this. I would like templatizing to be one of the features
for the Bigtop 0.5.0 releases, but perhaps for now we can just
keep in mind to always invoke service.

Thanks,
Roman.