From Roman Shaposhnik <...@apache.org>
Subject running init.d scripts by hand vs. service(8)
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2012 23:51:12 GMT
Hi!

Here's a thorny issue that I'm looking at right now which I'd
appreciate a broader perspective on: it seems that currently
there's a subtle (but a very dangerous) difference between
running any of our init.d scripts by hand -- e.g.
   # /etc/init.d/hadoop-hdfs-datanode start
vs. running them via a service(8) command -- e.g.
   # service hadoop-hdfs-datanode start

It just so happens that service is guaranteed to clean
the environment up, but running the scripts directly
would run them in whatever environment root might
have currently.

IOW, if for any reason root would set a variable up
that corresponds to a var from a particular /etc/default/<name>
sourced by the init.d scripts -- that would affect the script
execution.

What do you all think -- is this a bug or a feature? Should
we, somehow, make sure that a direct execution would
scrub the environment the same way that a service(8) one
does?

Thanks,
Roman.

P.S. Now, it might seem to be a trivial matter of cleanliness but
I've got bitten by it today and spent quite a bit of time debugging
the "incorrect" behavior only to realize that it was my environment
to blame.