From Konstantin Boudnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Bigtop environment setup
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2012 05:14:25 GMT
On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 10:07PM, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Bruno MahИ <bmahe@apache.org> wrote:
> > Regarding the size, it depends on a lot of things (using raw vs qcow, how
> > many packages installed...).
> > For instance the Apache Bigtop VMs take quite some space because they
> > reserve some free space so people can upload their datasets. But for a build
> > VM, not that much space is needed.
> >
> > For reference, we could put Apache Bigtop distribution on a bootable USB key
> > :)

> tl;dr; here's what I propose a 'virtual' package that would
> enable the following workflow:
>   $ make build-[rpm|deb]
>   $ sudo [apt-get|yum|zypper] install output/build/build*.[rpm|deb]
> and you get EVERYTHING that is needed for bigtop builds
> installed as packages plus you get /opt/bigtop-toolchain
> bits.
>
> Ok, I can certainly see a reason to maintain VMs. Personally, I'd love
> if I could say
>     $ vagrant add box/up
> and get the environment up and running without much fuzz.
>
> That said -- this is but a single use case. So lets enumerate
> the ones I see:
>     1. provisioning/maintaining a long running Jenkins slave
>     2. provisioning a host dev environment
>     3. provisioning a VM dev environment
>
> I specifically split #3 from #1,2 because a lot of time you can't
> (already running in a virtualized environment) or won't (personally
> I do a LOT of development on my host OS) go the VM route.
>
> Thus, however appealing VMs are I think we can't escape
> the simple truth that we have to have a non-VM based solution
> for at lest #1 and #2.
>
> How about if we simple add a 'virtual' package called build
> so that running:
>    $ make build-[rpm|deb]
> will create a package that would download all the bits and
> pieced of a tool-chain AND also promote BuildRequires:
> to its own Requires: so that installing this package will
> give you all the toolchain bits and all the package deps
> at the same time.
>
> I think I can prototype it in a couple of hours unless there's
> a strong revulsion towards this type of solution (and even
> then I think I might just do it for my own personal
> gratification ;-)).

I think having a package like this doesn't contradict to the VM need. Even
more - it dovetails into the concept very nicely, because with such a package
in place the VM creation would be completely separated from the essence of the
toolchain and would be simply a breeze.

If you are looking for a blessing - you have mine for sure ;)

Cos