From Jos Backus <...@catnook.com>
Subject Re: MRv1 mapred command no longer supports starting the jobtracker/tasktracker
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2012 20:17:47 GMT
Hi Roman!

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 11:56 AM, Roman Shaposhnik <rvs@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Jos!
>
> On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 10:54 PM, Jos Backus <jos@catnook.com> wrote:
> > I'm aware of that. We'd like to use MRv1 instead of YARN because we are
> not
> > ready/willing to switch at this point. The code is still there, just the
> > mapred script UI was removed. Right now I'm using the hadoop command to
> > start the jobtracker and tasktracker but it seems ugly and someone may
> come
> > in and break that interface, too, as it's advertised as deprecated.
>
> To the best of my knowledge that code in the trunk/branch-2 hasn't been
> maintained for quite some time. It seems to compile, but I can't make it
> work even with a patched version of wrapper scripts. Is your experience
> with that code different? Can you provide more details on what exact
> branch you're using and how exactly you're using TT/JT from there?

Well, I am using the CDH4 RPMs, being under the impression that the changes
from the open source version are minimal.  Are you saying that basically
MRv1 is deprecated/unsupported at this point as far as the Apache folks are
concerned? In that case, I should take the issue up with Cloudera if/once
we have a support contract :)

> Please also note, that MRv1 as delivered by CDH4 distribution is completely
> different from the code that exists in trunk/branch-2.

That doesn't bother me as it doesn't affect what I am working on :) I care
about someone breaking this interface for no reason. I could understand it
if MRv1 was no longer supported by Apache or Cloudera, but that appears to
not be that case from what I can tell. So in my mind it's just a bug.

> > So far the HDFS bits seem to work fine under daemontools-encore; I have
> > been using it for several months now without problems.
>
> Great! Any chance you can share your code?
>
> I already did, I sent you an email on May 11th :) Right now I'm trying to
get the scripts to work properly with CDH4, which is why I ran into this
problem. Then I checked the Apache repo and saw that it was broken there,
too, hence my email. At any rate, once I have the scripts in working order
I will send an update.

Thanks,
Jos

--