From Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: bigtop-0.4.0-incubating/repos?
Date Sat, 25 Aug 2012 19:22:30 GMT
> Hi!
>
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 11:13 PM, MTG dev <dev@magnatempusgroup.net> wrote:
>>   I was wondering if the artifacts you have published are an
>> Apache only release or other vendors can share their distributions as
>> well using the same entry point? We keep supporting 1.x line of Hadoop and
>> it might be useful for people who are using this version and plan to stay
>> on in for some time.
>
> Personally, I'd be very much in favor of folks stepping in to support
> that code line.
> If the upcoming 0.3.1 release could be hosted by you guys I see it as very
> beneficial to the project.
>
> Unless anybody from the community objects there shouldn't be any issue with
> that as far as I can tell -- you just update the repo/list files and
> point to your
> website.
>
> Thanks,
> Roman.

Hi,

I am also all in favor of having and helping community members stepping
in to help support that branch and even host some convenience artefacts.
But I am a little bit confused by what is exactly being asked.

Is it about having a section on the wiki listing derivatives of Apache
Bigtop (incubating) or is it about making the dist directory pointing to
MTG?

The only issue is that it looks like from
http://www.magnatempusgroup.net/blog/2012/05/25/mtg-release-0-3-1/ that
this distribution is a derivative of Apache Bigtop (incubating) and not
just convenience artefacts of Apache Bigtop (incubating) releases. We
cannot advertise derivatives of Apache Bigtop (incubating) as
convenience artefacts of specific releases of Apache Bigtop (incubating).
http://www.magnatempusgroup.net/ftphost/releases/MTG-0.3.1/fedora16/oozie/oozie-3.1.3-1.fc16.src.rpm

indicates Oozie is indeed patched.

Derivatives can be listed on the wiki there in any case:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BIGTOP/Powered+By+Bigtop
There could also be an entire section dedicated to them if needed.

Thanks,
Bruno