From Konstantin Boudnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Bigtop 0.3.1: target release date, supported platforms, bill of materials
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2012 17:20:37 GMT
On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 06:01PM, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> Changing this into a [DISCUSS] thread to not confuse the vote.
>
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 11:07 AM, Konstantin Boudnik <cos@apache.org> wrote:
> > That'd be awesome, Alan.
> >
> > We have a couple of sound BOM update proposals, so I will restart the vote
> > once I hear from you on these 2 components.
>
> I'm also curious about the list of supported platforms (and I admit this is
> an open ended policy question, rather than anything else): what do
> we, as a community, want the overlap between Bigtop 0.3.0 and
> Bigtop 0.3.1 supported platforms be? Or is that even an issue?

A continuation of this logic would lead to preventing new major release of
comprising components from going into a maintenance release, would it not?

Which is perfectly fine with me, btw. I want to undestand what our release
principles are:
  - major release includes
        new major versions of the components/new components
        new versions of supported OSes/new OSes
  - maintenance release includes
        minor and subminor versions of the components/no new components
        same set of supported OSes

If this seems like a reasonable rule of thumb - let me reshape the BOM
accordingly e.g. put Fedora 15 instead of Fedora 16.

Cos