From Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Looking for a Hadoop 1.X distro maintainer in Bigtop
Date Thu, 21 Jun 2012 20:43:59 GMT
On 06/21/2012 07:53 AM, Jun Ping Du wrote:
> Hi Roman,
>    I would like to donate my time to serve other Hadoop users. Can you share me more
details on distro maintainer? like: responsibility and qualification.

> Thanks,
>
> Junping

Hi Jun,

The main goal of such distro maintainer would be to drive the 0.3.X
releases so Apache Bigtop (incubating) can continue to support both
Apache Hadoop 1.X releases as well as the Apache Hadoop 2.X ones.

There is no precisely defined role, but the main responsibilities would
be to backport interesting patches, includes new ones as well as being
(or help) a release manager for the Apache Bigtop (incubating) 0.3.X
branch. You don't have to do all of this by yourself, and you will
unlikely be alone for these tasks.
So there is no specific qualification required besides being willing to
shepherd releases and help Apache Bigtop (incubating) go forward.

Roman put together some documentation regarding the release process:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BIGTOP/How+to+release

You may also be interested in these documents:
http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html
http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html

Note also that, even though I don't have enough time to take on that
role, I am willing to help anyone stepping up for maintaining the 0.3
branch.

Thanks,
Bruno