From Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Move the default HADOOP_CONF_DIR
Date Thu, 03 May 2012 06:49:44 GMT
The following may be very specific an experience, but I felt you guys
may benefit from it:

>From my experience, this confusion (where one would type
/etc/hadoop/hdfs-site.xml quickly instead of
/etc/hadoop/conf/hdfs-site.xml) has indeed come up a (very) few times
with users/admins I've interacted with over the last year. These users
had never used tarball setups before, and didn't know of the "conf"
name and what that signifies. I _personally_ am comfortable with
/etc/hadoop/conf naming and instructions cause I came to package-world
after much tarball usage/deployments.

I'm OK with the change in general if it happens (its "standard" to
have files directly under /etc/app-name, and all apps ought to be
consistent), but I humbly wish we would not change for any existing
major releases. That'd cause much user pain for those already gotten
used to this (and *many* have). It would also break quite a few
puppet/chef scripts I think.

--
Harsh J