From "Edward J. Yoon" <edwardy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Hama in Bigtop
Date Sat, 05 May 2012 02:44:59 GMT
Hi,

>   * What does Hama *really* depend on in Hadoop? It seems that
>      given its architecture the only dependency should be on HDFS
>      (since it essentially replaces Mapreduce layer) and common.

You're right. Hama runs on HDFS cluster.

>   * I see that there's a way of running hama's own Zookeeper service.
>      Is there a way to utilize an existing instance of Zookeeper?

Yes, you can utilize an existing ZK by setting HAMA_MANAGES_ZK in
conf/hama-env.sh to false and 'hama.zookeeper.quorum' and
'hama.zookeeper.property.clientPort' properties in conf/hama-site.xml.

>   * Hama on YARN -- does it still need its own services running (BSPmater,
>     Groom) or does it become a 100% the same type of application that
>     mapreduce is on top of YARN ?

YARN module is alpha version and not fully tested on large cluster
yet. Please ignore at this time.

>   * What's the best way to run as many 'example' BSP jobs as possible?
>      Is there an equivalent of hadoop-examples.jar ?

Yes, hama-examples-0.x.0.jar. To run the BSP example, you can type the
following commands:

% bin/hama jar hama-examples-0.x.0.jar

--
Best Regards, Edward J. Yoon