From Roman Shaposhnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Guarding against the use of upstream scripts
Date Wed, 02 May 2012 18:31:06 GMT
On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Owen O'Malley <omalley@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 8:34 AM, Roman Shaposhnik <rvs@apache.org> wrote:
>> Guys,
>>
>> I've noticed lately that new users of the Bigtop distro fall prey
>> to thinking that they can simply utilized upstream launcher scripts
>> as is by running them from under /usr/lib/<component>bin
>> directories. Something this works. More often it doesn't.
>
> This will break users in two ways:

Just to be clear (and sorry for not being specific in the original email): this
only applies to trunk e.g. Hadoop 2.X based Bigtop.

> 1. Many user scripts use $HADOOP_HOME/bin/X to find script X.

Not sure I understand how this applies to Hadoop 2.X codeline.
HADOOP_HOME has been deprecated there and in fact now
that we have split the sub-projects it no longer makes even a
backward-compatibility sense to maintain the illusion.

> 2. Until those scripts are available in other locations, there is no
> choice. For users that want to manage the servers manually, having
> access to the hadoop-daemon.sh is required. Of course, it should be in
> /usr/sbin/hadoop-daemon.sh, but until it is of course the users needs
> to reference it in $HADOOP_HOME/sbin/hadoop-daemon.sh.

Right, but the Bigtop layout is completely different anyway. It has
very little to do with the upstream Hadoop 2.X layout.

Please consider this in the context of what we are doing in Bigtop,
not what happens with upstream Hadoop.

Thanks,
Roman.