From Roman Shaposhnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] BOM and supported platforms for Bigtop 0.4.0
Date Tue, 01 May 2012 04:39:03 GMT
On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 9:13 PM, Eric Baldeschwieler
<eric14@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> So you are suggesting expanding the charter to include projects not hosted at Apache?

I don't think this is what Bruno suggested. Personally I can't find
any reference in Bigtop
charter that restricts it to Projects that belong to Apache Software
Foundation. Honestly,
now that I look at "Apache Hadoop-related projects" statement I
realize that the way
I parse is it this "(Apache Hadoop)-related projects". IOW, to my eyes
"Apache" in that
statement is not a free floating noun but part of the correct way to
reference Hadoop project
in an official document: "Apache Hadoop".

That said, I can see how this can be confusing to somebody not privied
to the more
official monikers of Apache projects (I can relate -- I still have to
make a mental
effort to not forget adding [incubating] every time I mention Bigtop
in an official context).

So if you think a clarification is in order -- please suggest the
wording that might work.

> This is a new precedent and seems like it merits discussion.

Sure. Bigtop is a 100% community driven project and you're more then
welcome to join
our community (we actually have a couple of cool projects that we can suggest to
work on -- we always need extra help especially for improving our
integration testing
story).

Now, in order to familiarize yourself with the project and where it is
going it would be
helpful to subscribe yourself to the development mailing list. On top
of that, our wiki,
while not ideal can, help somewhat.

That's pretty much all there is to it. Follow the list/JIRAs (the Hue
JIRA has existed
for a couple of weeks now) and feel free to tap into the community's opinion via
marking messages as [DISCUSS] or [VOTE].

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Roman.