From Roman Shaposhnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Move the default HADOOP_CONF_DIR
Date Wed, 02 May 2012 00:06:04 GMT
On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 10:28 PM, Owen O'Malley <omalley@apache.org> wrote:
> I'd like to propose that we change the default value for
> HADOOP_CONF_DIR to /etc/hadoop instead of the current
> /etc/hadoop/conf. I think it will reduce the confusion factor of new
> users quite a bit. Roman shared that the original motivation was to
> support multiple client configurations, but that seems relatively rare
> use case. (Note that multiple client configs is still supported, of
> course, you just need to use --config option to point it to the right
> configuration directory. I'm just proposing that we remove the extra
> conf out of the path.)
>
> What do people think?

Personally, I'm concerned because of the following:
  # this will actually increase confusion somewhat among the folks
     who have used prior releases of Bigtop
  # whatever we do has to be consistent through Bigtop which
     means changing all the /etc/<component>/conf locations as well.
     That will be quite a bit of work as far as validation is concerned.

Given all of the above, I would appreciate if the benefits of the change
were to be spelled out more clearly. AFAIK, if you deploy Hadoop from
tarballs it doesn't actually assume anything in /etc, since it bundles
all of the configs under the installation tree.

Thanks,
Roman.