From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Publishing jars for hbase compiled against hadoop 0.23.x/hadoop 2.0.x
Date Wed, 16 May 2012 21:09:09 GMT
On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 1:00 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <rvs@apache.org> wrote:
> Now, it seems like in Bigtop we're going to soon expose the Maven repo
> with all of the Maven artifacts constituting a particular Bigtop "stack". You
> could think of it as a transitive closure of all of the deps. built against
> each other. This, of course, will not tackle an issue of a random combination
> of components (we only support the versions of components as
> specified in our own BOM for each particular Bigtop release) but it will
> provide a pretty stable body of Maven artifacts that are KNOWN (as
> in tested) to be compiled against each other.

I think HBase should consider having a single blessed set of
dependencies and only one build for a given release, but also several
Jenkins projects set up to insure that release also builds against
some larger set of additional dependencies according to contributor
needs, and otherwise the user is welcome to mvn
-Ddependency.version=foo. A project like BigTop could separately
handle a broader set of combinations according to "distribution
consumer" demand, we could point potential users at that if it's an
option.

Best regards,

   - Andy

Hein (via Tom White)