From Konstantin Boudnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Move the default HADOOP_CONF_DIR
Date Wed, 02 May 2012 22:04:45 GMT
On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 09:26AM, Owen O'Malley wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 5:06 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <rvs@apache.org> wrote:
> > Personally, I'm concerned because of the following:
> >  # this will actually increase confusion somewhat among the folks
> >     who have used prior releases of Bigtop
>
> If you smooth off the rough edges of Bigtop, you'll get a lot more
> adoption. In particular, none of the Apache projects have used a
> pattern like that. If you look at the upstream projects like Hadoop,
> Pig, or Zookeeper rpms they all use /etc/hadoop.

I don't see how the adoption can be increased by changing of the value of an
env. var. ;) RPMs produced by different project might have different
structure - this is really up to the maintainer.  I personally think
/etc/<prod>/<more stuff> is a way cleaner structure, because otherwise you'll
end up mixing things in the same folder if later on non-config related files
will need to end up in /etc/hadoop.

No, I don't see how it makes sense.
  Cos