From Tom White <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: RedHat moving to OpenJDK
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2012 04:15:48 GMT
On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 5:22 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <rvs@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 12:46 PM, Jos Backus <jos@catnook.com> wrote:
>> "Finally, Red Hat seems to have largely switched to OpenJDK. This is
>> what JPackage is using for builds as well.
>
> Speaking of which -- what's your read on JPackage. It feels dead to me
> (and that's why Bigtop started packaging outside of immediate Bigdata
> scope) but I could be wrong.
>
>> There has been no need to
>> build a nosrc.rpm for a while now, assuming you're willing to give up
>> the Oracle JDK for the OpenJDK in your base OS."
>>
>> How do people here feel about this move?
>
> I think we have to bite the bullet and start supporting OpenJDK. At least
> as an alternative JDK to Oracle's one.

Various folks have been trying out Hadoop on OpenJDK with Whirr (see
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WHIRR-518), and no major
problems have been found yet. Granted, it hasn't had extensive
testing, but it's a start. Doing some testing in Bigtop would be
great.

> That said I had reports about
> silly incompatibilities (like what a null would produce when turned into
> a string or something) that trip up Hadoop big time and nobody wants
> to spend time debugging it.

Can you point to any bug reports please?

Tom