From Roman Shaposhnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: RedHat moving to OpenJDK
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2012 00:22:36 GMT
On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 12:46 PM, Jos Backus <jos@catnook.com> wrote:
> "Finally, Red Hat seems to have largely switched to OpenJDK. This is
> what JPackage is using for builds as well.

Speaking of which -- what's your read on JPackage. It feels dead to me
(and that's why Bigtop started packaging outside of immediate Bigdata
scope) but I could be wrong.

> There has been no need to
> build a nosrc.rpm for a while now, assuming you're willing to give up
> the Oracle JDK for the OpenJDK in your base OS."
>
> How do people here feel about this move?

I think we have to bite the bullet and start supporting OpenJDK. At least
as an alternative JDK to Oracle's one. That said I had reports about
silly incompatibilities (like what a null would produce when turned into
a string or something) that trip up Hadoop big time and nobody wants
to spend time debugging it.

Thanks,
Roman.