From James Page <james.p...@canonical.com>
Subject Re: bigtop ubuntu build wiki page added
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2012 09:41:39 GMT

On 23/03/12 04:45, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> Great stuff! Although it would be really nice to package all the
> dependencies we have to install by hand (even if it is just a
> tarball-in-disguise type of a package)
>
> Also, I'm not quite sure whether there's any kind of tool we can
> use to automatically install all the build-time dependencies.
>
> James, what do you guys use for Ubuntu to automatically pull the
> build-time deps specified in source packages?

This would be quite simple if ALL build-time deps where packaged - but
they are not :-).

For distro development the source package is typically built first and
then the binary packages are build using a tool such as sbuild or
pbuilder (see [0]).

I have experimented with this a bit for bigtop - however the schroots
need to be configured with appropriate JAVA_HOME, JAVA5_HOME and
FORREST_HOME and MAVEN_HOME installs and configurations.

sbuild will look at the build-deps for a package and then install them
before it tries to build the package itself.

There are a few non-schroot options as well - but its less clean in
the fact that you might have conflicting packages or already have some
of them installed.

mk-build-deps does a similar function but without schroot's - it will
create a meta package and install it for all of the build-deps for a
give debian/control file.

I will try to find some time to investigate this in a bit more detail
- - it should be possible to put together some instructions/s script to
get this all setup for people to use.

It would also help me as I generally run the latest development
release - and bigtop currently only builds on 10.04 :-).

Cross posting to -dev.

Cheers

James

[0] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SecurityTeam/BuildEnvironment