From James Page <james.p...@ubuntu.com>
Subject Debian packaging format for Bigtop 0.4.0/+1
Date Tue, 20 Mar 2012 11:52:17 GMT

Hi Fellow Bigtoppers!

I'd like to propose upgrading the Debian package format for all bigtop
packages to source format 3.0 (see [0]) and increase the minimum
debhelper revision to 7.

This change will bring a few benefits

1) Quilt based patching is a integral part of source format 3.0 - I
know we don't carry patches in bigtop trunk but if some wanted to this
change makes it much easier.

Patches reside in debian/patches with a debian/patches/series file
which describes the order in which they should be applied - I guess
this could be used in the RPM packages as well?

2) debhelper overrides and general magic

The current debian/rules files are quite complicated; switching to
version 7 of debhelper will help rationalise these rules files alot as
this version supports overrides and alot of debhelper sequencing magic:

{{{
%:
    dh $@

override_dh_auto_build:
    debian/do-component-build.sh
    [...]

override_dh_install:
    debian/install_hadoop.sh
    [...]
}}}

I think this might also help people who want to contribute to the
bigtop Debian packaging as this will be more familiar.

I already trialled switching to source format 3.0 (I needed to pull in
some patches to hadoop for Ubuntu precise) and it just requires a
minor tweak to the build process (see [1]).

Anyone have any objections or other feedback?

Cheers

James

[0] http://wiki.debian.org/Projects/DebSrc3.0
[1]