From James Page <james.p...@ubuntu.com>
Subject Re: RedHat moving to OpenJDK
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2012 09:26:00 GMT

On 19/03/12 00:22, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 12:46 PM, Jos Backus <jos@catnook.com>
> wrote:
>>> "Finally, Red Hat seems to have largely switched to OpenJDK.
>>> This is what JPackage is using for builds as well.
> Speaking of which -- what's your read on JPackage. It feels dead to
> me (and that's why Bigtop started packaging outside of immediate
> Bigdata scope) but I could be wrong.
>
>>> There has been no need to build a nosrc.rpm for a while now,
>>> assuming you're willing to give up the Oracle JDK for the
>>> OpenJDK in your base OS."
>>>
>>> How do people here feel about this move?
> I think we have to bite the bullet and start supporting OpenJDK. At
> least as an alternative JDK to Oracle's one. That said I had
> reports about silly incompatibilities (like what a null would
> produce when turned into a string or something) that trip up Hadoop
> big time and nobody wants to spend time debugging it.

We did discuss this as a long term goal when bigtop formed;  As a
distro developer who has no option other than to use OpenJDK for the
majority of my work I would like to help resolve these issues - I
think its important for the long term health of Hadoop and OpenJDK.

I also know quite a few of the OpenJDK developers and I know they are
focussed on making OpenJDK great so it then just comes down to user
choice rather that a complete no-go (which incidentally I don't think
it is ATM).

I think the other thing that I don't see much movement on is the
switch to Java7 - technically this should make things much easier as
OpenJDK 7 and Oracle Java 7 are pretty much the same thing.

Fedora are already working on removing OpenJDK6 (see [0]) and I expect
to start doing the same in Ubuntu/Debian in the next few months...

Most OpenJDK development is now also focussed on 7 not 6....

[0] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Java7

- --
James Page
Ubuntu Core Developer