From Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Incubator Wiki] Update of "March2012" by RomanShaposhnik
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2012 05:27:27 GMT
Hi Marcos,

Let's not ask Bigtop specific questions on general@hadoop.apache.org. So
let's reply on bigtop-dev@incubator.apache.org

See my reply inline.

On 03/12/2012 08:44 PM, Marcos Ortiz wrote:
> Thanks to Todd (todd@cloudera.com), I talked today with Bruno Mahe
> (bruno@cloudera.com) about how to
> help on the BitTop project.
> I will a unique response how I can help for it:
> - First, I'm a proud user and big fan of Fedora and RHEL, so this is my
> first interest in to help on the RPM packaging of the projects, and to
> test them on the new releases of Fedora (now I'm using Fedora 16 64
> bits, but in a near future, I will update my system to
> Fedora 17 (Rawhide))

Great to see another user of Fedora!
So I guess you will also like the fact that our VMs are made through
boxgrinder and are using Fedora tools to create the live usb/cd image :)

> - Second: Bruno said to me that he and his team are working on some
> puppet recipes to deploy the entire cluster easily and quickly.
> I'm a big fan of Puppet too (In my daily work like Sysadmin, I use it in
> every configuration task of several nodes), and this is very interesting
> to me too.

First of all, to avoid any confusion let's talk of "community" instead
of "teams".

Then, all the puppet code is in the directory bigtop-deploy/puppet.
There are also some minimal instructions regarding how to use them:
https://github.com/apache/bigtop/blob/trunk/bigtop-deploy/puppet/README.md

If you have any question, don't hesitate to ask on the mailing list.

> I'm a Git lover, so, I will clone the project for the Apache git, and I
> will see the best and quick way to help to you.
> Thanks a lot for your time
> Best wishes

Most of the contributors on Bigtop use git, so don't hesitate to ask
questions as well on the mailing list.

As a reminder, the layout of Bigtop goes this way:
bigtop-deploy/live-cd => files to create bootable live cd/usb
bigtop-deploy/puppet => all the puppet recipes
bigtop-deploy/vm => boxgrinder manifests
bigtop-packages => packaging files
bigtop-test-framework => test framework
bigtop-tests => tests artefacts/suites

Don't hesitate to let me know if you have any question, remark or issue.

Thanks,
Bruno