From Peter Linnell <plinn...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Bigtop package renames
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2012 06:04:45 GMT
> This is a friendly reminder that the following pacakge renames
> have happened in all of the Bigtop branches:
>     hadoop-zookeeper ->  zookeeper
>     hadoop-hbase ->  hbase
>     hadoop-hive ->  hive
>     hadoop-pig ->  pig
>
> The puppet code and the test code has been updated, but if you
> happen to install packages by hand you should retrain yourself
> not to type hadoop- prefix anymore.
>
> Now, while the rename was happening, Peter has made an excellent point
> on this JIRA:
>     https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP-328?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=13177854#comment-13177854
>
> So here's a question to you all: what level of backward looking packaging
> magic would be desirable to have in Bigtop? On one hand, we're still
> pretty young so pretending that nothing happened (and keeping our
> package code cleaner) is one option.
>
> Alternatively we can go wild with things like Provides, Replaces, etc.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Roman.

One other wrinkle is the proposed release of Hadoop 1.0, which based on
0.20.x will be a "newer version" than 0.23.

We definitely need to have a solution for this. Something like

Provides: hadoop-1.0+x

Is hackish, but might work.

Using epoch is another possibility for rpm, but I am generally allergic
to using it. Once you do, you are stuck with it forever.

Cheers,
Peter