From Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Now that 0.2.0 is out...
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2011 06:27:36 GMT
1. I would actually be rather in favour of a faster release cycle. But a
quarterly one is probably a good middle ground. This assume we don't get
strict about it. For instance an important update of one of the
component may warrant a new release.

2. I only care about monotonically increasing numbers. But codenames are
fun :)

3. It depends on how we are planning releases (hence your email).
I only care about a stable release/branch one could trust to maintain a
production grade cluster and another one where we could go forward and
experiment. I was under the impression we would be heading toward a
0.3.0 based on a next gen hadoop, which would definitely not be
production ready.
So if the consensus is not to update hadoop version for the next bigtop
release, backporting patches to the 0.2.0 branch does not make sense.
But if we plan to update hadoop to a next gen version, I will definitely
maintain and backport patches to the 0.2.0 branch. But this is
implementation details.

4. I agree completely. Although I would like also to make sure that any
patch we apply on a branch should have an upstream JIRA as a
filename/identifier so anyone can follow up on any patch and we can
ensure they all get commited upstream by the time a new upstream version
gets released.
Note that I used the term "should" and not "must" in order to make it
more of a guideline instead of a constraint.

5. Please define requests.
It seems to be more of an infrastructure issue.
I am not sure this warrant any specific process or branch to do such
thing. Although we could always help making things easier by documenting
more the build and test processes in Bigtop as well as maybe trying to
provide some parametrized jobs on our jenkins instance (where parameters
could be specific patches).