From Konstantin Boudnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Now that 0.2.0 is out...
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2011 02:02:49 GMT
On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 02:55PM, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 11:12 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <cos@apache.org> wrote:
> >> ═ ═ 1. We are getting a reasonable traction with downstream
> >> communities turning to
> >> ═ ═ Bigtop for integration testing of their RCs. It would be nice to
> >> have a formal policy
> >> ═ ═ on how we can accommodate these requests. So far, I've been using a
fork of
> >> ═ ═ Bigtop on Github to do ad-hoc builds and validation, but perhaps
> >> we can have
> >> ═ ═ long-lived branch for that, or may be there's a better option. Let
> >> me know what
> >> ═ ═ do you think.
> >
> > can we do a parametrized stack where we can set the versions of included
> > components separately from BigTop's pom and read them at the runtime? ═I guess
> > Gradle would solve this problem for us but for now we might have to go with
> > some inlined Groovy hacks.
>
> Here's the problem we're trying to solve here: we are starting to get requests
> for (at least!) validating RCs of the projects that constitute Bigtop
> so that they
> know there's no regression compared to what was there. Here's a practical
> example -- ZK RC 3.3.4 has been posted. I would like to verify that replacing
> a single component (ZK) in a Bigtop 0.2.0 stack will NOT lead to a regression.
> Right now, I'm doing this in a rather ad-hoc manner pushing to my own GitHub
> repo and building (and soon testing) over here:
>     http://bigtop01.cloudera.org:8080/view/RCs/?
>
> This works, but I'm not sure this is the best way to handle it.

As per our offline chat you explained to me that what I was proposing is
pretty much implemented (except for the automation part) and in fact the
branch above is serving exactly this purpose.

As for the question where to host such a branch, I'd say let's have next to
the development and release branches of BigTop and call self-explanatory. Say,
wasteland or something to that effect. So, whoever need can check it out and
experiment in any way.

Cos