From Roman Shaposhnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Branching strategy for Bigtop
Date Mon, 26 Sep 2011 16:08:06 GMT
Now that the work on incroparating the upcoming Hadoop 0.22 and
Hadoop 0.23 releases into Bigtop has started I've got a question
on what makes the most sense from a branching strategy point
of view. For example, it is pretty clear to me that the work
for 0.23 belongs in a separate branch in Bigtop. After all,
that code will be used no sooner than Bigtop 0.3.0.

By that same logic one could say that the work on 0.22 also belongs
to a dediacted branch. I'm cool with that, but then I'm not quite
sure what status will trunk have.

IOW, what is our policy to trunk commits? Do we only commit things
into the trunk that can rely on properly released apache projects,
or will it make sense for us to be a tad more aggressive and commit
things that we *hope* will make it to the next release (0.2.0 in this
particular case)?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Roman.