From Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Official list of supported platforms
Date Fri, 09 Sep 2011 18:43:29 GMT
On 09/09/2011 03:48 AM, Steve Loughran wrote:
> On 06/09/11 21:44, Bruno Mahé wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Given no one has objected to the previous thread, I am calling a vote.
>
> I'm not sure if I've missed the vote here so

This is the last day to vote I believe.
And If I understand correctly, you are -1 overall.

>> So let's vote on adopting the following set of platforms:
>> * Latest released CentOS (currently 6.0)
>
> =0. I've heard of problems related to glibc and other RHEL quirks
>
> The alternative would be the 5.7+ branches, which are what people tend
> to run in production

Right now we are still setting up the project and working on getting
resources.
In the mean time, I am for example running some build and tests on my
own VMs.

So for now I would rather have us focus on a wider range of
distributions so we can ensure BigTop exercise most packaging paths. And
then, when we can get access to more resources we would add support for
CentOS5.
Having more frequent releases of Hadoop would also help (CentOS5 is
getting old and we can't patch anything for build or security issues).

I am also planning on setting up builds against trunk of each projects
so we can potentially help stabilizing them and ensuring they work
properly when they get released. This would make it easier to support
old GNU/Linux distributions.

>> * Latest released Ubuntu LTS (currently 10.04)
>
> +1, even if the first thing you have to do on a 10.04 installation is
> delete the hostname -> loopback mapping in /etc/hosts
>
>> * Latest released OpenSUSE (currently 11.4)
>
> +1 if someone wants to do it
>
>> * Latest released Fedora (currently 15)
>
> I'm a -1 on this because it's too bleeding edge, it's not LTS, and you
> will end up debugging fedora problems.

I usually rebuild CDH on fedora + openJDK, and now BigTop on openJDK for
my personal usage and so far have hit only one issue which is already
fixed in 0.22, 0.23 and trunk.
So I am not really concerned about its bleeding edge. Actually I am more
concerned about old distributions (CentOS5, Debian Lenny...) than the
bleeding edge ones.

I also noticed a few tickets on JIRA about getting hadoop working on Fedora.