From Konstantin Boudnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Mailing list noise
Date Sun, 11 Sep 2011 21:21:03 GMT
Right. This is what I was kinda referring as a separate list for notification
in my OP (Hadoop keep separate *-issues@ list for every component). However,
the mixed approached might be even better as it allows to avoid any update
traffic unless a person is specifically watching an issue.

To summarize (under assumption that *-issues@ list is being created)
  - JIRA create notifications are to go to bigtop-dev@ and bigtop-issues@ lists
  - following updates to go only to bigtop-issues@ list

Cos

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 07:41AM, Alan Gates wrote:
> You should consider the approach Hadoop has taken where JIRA creates and
> resolves go to the dev list, but comments go to some other list (not sure
> which one).  This makes it easy for people to see what is changing, and if
> they are interested in a particular JIRA when it is created, they can watch
> it and keep up to date.  Just moving all JIRA traffic to commits will hide
> much of the work of the community from many potential contributors.
>
> Alan.
>
> On Sep 9, 2011, at 4:20 PM, Konstantin Boudnik wrote:
>
> > Someone with JIRA admin karma should be able to do the switch in no time. I
> > think we have plenty of guys like that among the mentors of the project.
> >
> > Owen, could you redirect BigTop JIRA notification traffic from bigtop-dev@ to
> > bigtop-commits@ ? Or do we need to go through the official INFRA process for
> > that?
> >
> > Thanks,