From Roman Shaposhnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Projects that bundle packaging infrastructure
Date Mon, 15 Aug 2011 18:50:22 GMT
On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Steve Loughran <stevel@apache.org> wrote:
> I actually think hadoop-core putting their packaging into core is the wrong
> place; there end up being a lot of cyclic links against the mapreduce and
> hdfs parts, though that's being corrected through SVN changes.

<developer-hat-on>
I believe that part of the appeal of having it all in the same tree is
to be able
to say ant package and have a package right there that you can install
locally and test/debug. Perhaps (and I can only guess, since I'm not a
dedicated hadoop hacker) the same goal can be achieved out of tree
if we have enough hooks in Bigtop.
</developer-hat-on>

Thanks,
Roman.