From Roman Shaposhnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Packaging concerns
Date Mon, 22 Aug 2011 17:33:57 GMT
On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 10:21 AM, Eric Yang <eyang@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>  If "no patch statement" is valid, then there is no need to create bigtop's
> own version of package management for the projects right?

The statement of "no patch" is correct regardless of whether we're repackaging
with a different .spec file or not. As for re-using the existing packaging infra
available from the upstream projects -- that is definitely an option. However
during our discussion on Thu it was clear that the majority of those present
in the room who cared about the style of packaging Bigtop does were in favor
of OS-style packaging.

>  If there are donated servers to host yum/apt repositories, it can easily be
> automated through Jenkins by building as part of the original project.

I'm interested in exploring this direction. Do you know who at Apache
we (Bigtop)
have to talk to in order to figure out the logistics of building rpm/deb's and
hosting Apache-blessed yum/apt repos?

> rpmbuild does jar file repack, you need to disable them otherwise, it will repackage
exist jar files.
> This could consider the software was linked to GPL software.

Are you saying repacking somehow constitues linking to GPL licensed code?

> The same applies to debugging symbol strip for .so files.

Are you saying stripping and possibly repacking debug info constitutes
linking to GPL licensed code?

> There were work done for Hadoop 0.20.204 and 0.23 (HADOOP-6255).
> However, trunk version is removed by mavenization.  Alejandro ask me
> to work on it again after mavenization work is done.  HBase/pig rpm
> were committed a while back, ZooKeeper (ZOOKEEPER-999) package
> is done and waiting for commit. HCatalog is also in progress (HCATALOG-63).
> Hive is probably the only one left that does not produce rpm/deb package.
> The work are done recently, and Hadoop is most likely to release rpm/deb
> packages.  It would be interesting to see the response from
> Hadoop community to determine if yum repos on Apache make sense.

I understand these points, but my question was different -- where can I get
Apache-released RPM/DEBs for these projects?

Thanks,
Roman.