From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: Official list of supported platforms
Date Mon, 29 Aug 2011 05:54:06 GMT
On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 9:04 PM, Bruno Mahé <bmahe@apache.org> wrote:
> On 08/28/2011 07:59 PM, Andrew Bayer wrote:
>> I'm opposed to mandating support for the commercial distros for now.
>> Theoretically, if we cover OpenSUSE and CentOS, we more-or-less cover SLES
>> and RHEL as well.
>>
>> A.
>>

> I am neither for nor against it, but it would be very helpful to explain
> your point of view.

Not to channel Andrew, but rather to offer my own viewpoint (and +1
his comment ;-)):
"If it ain't tested it ain't supported". With the commercial distros
the testing would
have to come from those who can afford the licensing fee. This has its impact on
the community of the project since at that point we're basically
making it impossible
for enthusiast and volunteers to validate their own patches.

Thanks,
Roman.