From Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Official list of supported platforms
Date Sun, 28 Aug 2011 21:29:31 GMT
On 08/26/2011 12:35 PM, Andrew Bayer wrote:
> ...we should probably do this. I know James had thoughts on what Ubuntu
> releases we should support, and that Bruno's got thoughts on
> Mageia/OpenSUSE, but we should probably codify the list somewhere. Let's
> hear what platforms you all think we should support for 0.2.0, and then
> we'll vote on 'em to build out the list.
>
> A.

Top tier (the one we can't break):
* Latest CentOS (6.0)
* Latest Ubuntu LTS (10.04)
* Latest OpenSUSE (11.4)
* Latest Fedora (15)

2nd tier (the ones without enough interest to be in the top tier, but
enough volunteers to maintain it):
* Latest Mageia (I volunteer to maintain it)

The top tier means we can't check in any patch that will break any of
these OSes. It also means we can't upgrade a component of BigTop if that
component cannot be built on any of these OSes.
Regarding the 2nd tier, it means not having a build is not a blocker for
a release and it is fine to have a commit breaking Mageia's support.
Although it does not mean we should break it on purpose either. The more
time I spend fixing Mageia, the less time I spend on other things.

B.